Environmental Studies Student News
Wednesday, March 22, 2023
Research technician opportunity for graduating students in Environmental Studies
The Illinois Natural History Survey is looking for graduating or recently graduated students interested in gaining experience as research technicians in aquatic ecology and fisheries biology. Our lab works on a diverse set of projects conducted within lakes, rivers, and streams throughout Illinois, and our technicians gain significant experience in the field and laboratory before going on to graduate school or professional positions with state and federal agencies. Many of our projects are collaborations with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, the US Fish and Wildlife Service, and the US Army Corps of Engineers. We also have seasonal positions with housing available for students that are still in school.
Seasonal staff position:
Inaugural De La Vega Innovation Pitch Competition
The NIU College of Business is pleased to announce the Inaugural De La Vega Innovation Pitch Competition is set for April 14th, 2023, from 10:30-2:00 PM in the De La Vega Innovation Lab!
Groups of 2-5 undergraduate and/or graduate students from any NIU major can pitch an innovative business idea to a panel of judges for the chance to win seed funding (cash!), and a 6-month premium membership to Innovation DuPage!
Some key things to know:
- There are two informational sessions that will double as a Pitching 101 workshop. Students who want to compete must attend one of these two workshops (they can email firstname.lastname@example.org if they have a conflict). The workshops will be in the De La Vega Innovation Lab on 3/21 from 1-2 pm, and 3/31 from 11-12 pm.
- The deadline to apply is April 7th, EOD
- The Innovation Club is offering appointments to help students refine their Business Models prior to competing (To set up an appointment, email email@example.com with “Pitch Competition Appointment” in the subject line.)
- Space is limited to 10 teams and will be selected based on “potential for success” and innovative concepts
- Additional information, plus the registration form, can be found here: https://go.niu.edu/innovation-pitch
*This year’s competition will be a pilot version to identify key logistical needs, and student interest. Therefore, we are expecting most pitches to be in the ideation phase: Student teams should present the groundwork for innovation and problem-solving through a clearly defined business model.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.