Student Office Support Worker
Position Description: NIU Career Services is seeking to hire multiple undergraduate students for the part-time position (10-15 hours per week) of Student Office Support (SOS) Worker for the 2016-2017 academic year. The successful candidates will perform general office and receptionist duties. This position would be best filled by a person who possesses excellent customer service skills, attention to detail, professionalism, adaptability, organizational skills, and experience with Outlook, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel. Clerical skills and experience in an office setting are preferred but not required. Training will be provided. This flexible position is being offered to undergraduate students in any major who are able to work 10-15 hours per week between the hours of 7:45 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
· Greet students and alumni and connect them with their career counselors
· Accurately schedule and confirm appointments for clients and counselors by precisely following departmental guidelines
· Enter client data accurately, efficiently, and with great attention to detail
· Provide vital support to all departmental operations and events by conducting clerical and support activities, such as copying, printing, organizing, distributing marketing materials, utilizing basic office equipment, making deliveries, and other duties as needed
· Staff career fairs and other events and provide support to contribute to their success
· Promote Career Services by staffing tables at university events, such as orientation and open houses
· Operate office equipment such as fax machines, paper cutter, copiers, and phone systems
· Develop a strong working familiarity with services and events offered to students and alumni by the department. SOS Workers should be able to describe these services in detail to both inform clients about them and promote the department to the university community.
· Adhere to departmental requirements for confidentiality and attire (business casual)
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Excellent customer service skills
· Ability to work independently and with groups
· Punctual, hard-working, and ambitious students who are seeking to grow professionally
· Proficient keyboarding skills
· Capable of multitasking in a busy office environment
· Attention to detail and good organizational skills are a must
· Willingness to learn new tasks and remain adaptable to potential office changes
· Critical thinking and problem solving skills
· Familiarity with NIU Career Services and our offices basic functions
· Clerical skills and experience in an office setting preferred
Apply for this position using the Huskies Get Hired system (gethired.niu.edu) starting Thursday, March 17, 2016. The application deadline is Friday, April 1, 2016. If chosen for an interview, please come prepared to discuss specific examples from your history that show you meet each of the skills and qualifications listed above.
NON-DISCRIMINATION AT NIU
Northern Illinois University is an equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, age, marital status, national origin, disability, or status as a disabled or Vietnam-era veteran. The Constitution and Bylaws of Northern Illinois University afford equal treatment regardless of political views or affiliation, and sexual orientation. NIU recognizes dual career issues.