- NIU STEM Outreach is looking for camp counselors for our summer camps. We need people can work days, nights, and both. Camps are the weeks of June 16th (Camp Invention), June 23rd (Exploring STEM through Art & Nature), July 21st (Engineering Amusement) and July 28th (STEM Careers). I have attached an application to this email. Feel free to print and distribute as you like, but all applications must be submitted in person to Pati Sievert in Lowden Hall room 307
- We will also need many students for an event on April 13. We will once again be hosting a Destination Imagination tournament on campus, and need students to help oversee the event. Education majors in particular are encouraged to sign up, but anyone is welcome. If you or your group is interested in this opportunity, please contact Pati Seivert, Psievert@niu.edu, 815-753-0012
- We also have several hands-on events coming up that we can pay students to
assist with. The work consists of helping to load, unload and setup the
equipment, supervising the equipment's use during the event, and then taking it
all down and packing it back up. You are paid for travel time, and most times
food is provided by the school hosting the event. These events pay $10/hour for
all hours worked. The events I currently have scheduled that I'll need help for
- Thurs Feb 28th, Gower West Elementary, Willowbrook IL Time: TBD (Afternoon/Evening)
- Wed March 13th, Brookdale Elementary, Naperville IL. Time: TBD
- Fri April 26th, Clarendon Hills Middle School, Hinsdale IL. Time: TBD (Afternoon/Evening)
- Tues April 30th, Stevenson School in Maywood. Time TBD (All day)
- We are also looking for Jrs, Srs, and Grad students who have interesting ideas for, and would be interested in leading some of our STEM Saturday classes. These are three hour informal science education classes aimed primarily at middle school students. We have done some topics for younger and older students, but most have been for grades 4-8. If you have a suggestion for a class topic, or are interested in leading one yourself, please contact Jeremy Benson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 815-753-0533
- We will need student groups to help with several activities the week of March 18th. On the 18th, 20th, 21st, and 22nd we will be doing "Squishy Circuits" with area libraries as part of our "Bright Futures" Program. We'll need a couple students each day to be at one of the libraries running this activity.
- Lincoln Elementary here in DeKalb is having a book fair on Thurs May 2nd, and would like a student group to come and do an activity for the kids during the event.
If you are interested in helping with these, or any other opportunities we might have, please contact me and let me know! (Except for the couple things I specifically said to call Pati about, that is.)
DESTINATION IMAGINATION DETAILS:
As I mentioned at the meeting, NIU will be again hosting this year's Destination ImagiNation State Tournament. It will be held on Saturday April 13th, and we'll need about 150 volunteers to help us out for the day, 75 from 7:30am to 12:30pm and 75 from 11:45 to 5pm. No STEM experience is needed, so please encourage all the members of your group to come, and to bring their friends along to help! Everyone who registers to volunteer by the end of March gets a free T-shirt!
We've set up an online form for volunteers to register. You can sign up at: http://niu.edu/stem/destination_volunteers.shtml
Again, please share this info with all the members of your group, along with any friends you think would be interested. We'll need about 150 people for the day, so we appreciate all the help you can give!
This event will be a lot of fun! For more information about what Destination ImagiNation is, check out their website here: http://www.destinationimagination.org/
If you have any other questions about the event or what will be asked of volunteers, please contact Judith Dymond at 815-753-1751 or email email@example.com