Career Services is hosting a Practice Interview Week next week (9/21 to 9/24). This event will allow students to interview with representatives from companies that actively recruit on NIU’s campus and receive on the spot feedback from those employers on how they performed in the interview process. The interview questions will be broadly based, so they will work across all majors, and will provide students great experience to practice marketing themselves (in a lower pressure environment).
Interviews are half-hour sessions, counting the feedback from employers.
Please consider strongly encouraging your students to participate. Confirmed companies for interviews include: Verizon, Cintas, DeKalb County School District, Bethesda Lutheran Communities, Interpro Translation Services, IDEAL Industries, and Starcom.
Below are the details on how to register for the event, which is required.
Registration Process and Details for Practice Interview Week:
1. Go to https://niu-csm.symplicity.com/ (Huskies Get Hired)
2. What type of user are you? Select Student/Alumni. Login using ZID and MyNIU password. If you have trouble logging in, you may need to reset your MyNIU password. Important note, this would be your overall MyNIU password done through your MyNIU account, not through Huskies Get Hired. Do the MyNIU password reset and then try to login to Huskies Get Hired again using your new MyNIU password.
3. Once logged in, from Events on red toolbar at the top of the page, select Workshops.
4. Select a ½ hour slot from the drop down menu from the options indicated for each date.
Please only select one time slot. If you need to change your selection, be sure to select “Cancel RSVP” for your previous choice.
*IMPORTANT! There are interview times specific to Education Majors participating as a part of a class requirement. Through 9/14, Non-Education Majors selecting these time slots will be canceled out of their reservation time and notified to choose a different day/time. After 9/14, these time slots will be open to all students.*
5. Log out of Huskies Get Hired by clicking Log Out button in top right corner.
6. For your practice interview, please be sure to arrive 5 to 10 minutes early for your interview time. Please dress professionally and bring two clean copies of your resume. Interviews will be 30 minutes long and will take place in Campus Life Building 260.
7. Please note that while everything will be done to try to pair students with an employer more closely matched with their professional interests, we will not have employers from all professions represented at all time slots. Each employer will be working through general interview questions that will apply across all industries, and providing formal, on the spot feedback to students, which will be vital for growing your skills and comfort level for being interviewed.
8. Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by our Career Resource Center, Campus Life Building (CLB), Room 235, 10AM-3PM, for assistance with your Resume, Interview Sign-up, Interview Preparation, Job Search Assistance, and/or Huskies-Get-Hired account.