Lorado Taft Field Campus
Northern Illinois University
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Environmental Education Coordinator, this person is primarily responsible for the instruction of resident environmental education experiences for elementary and middle school groups at Lorado Taft Campus, Oregon, Illinois. This person works closely with other staff to develop and deliver outdoor education programs. This person assists other staff in the care and improvement of a project area. This person will also be responsible for creating an educational display for a classroom bulletin board.
Training programs include, but are not limited to, Taft Campus policies and procedures, Taft Campus safety and risk management procedures, writing lesson plans, group management techniques, observing seasoned educators, and co-teaching.
1. Create and deliver lessons to elementary through high school students.
2. Research relevant information regarding Taft programs in order to have the necessary background knowledge to teach classes on topics such as ecology, cultural history, outdoor skills, and team building.
3. Participate in training activities and weekly staff meetings (Monday mornings and Friday afternoons).
4. Assist staff in overseeing project areas.
5. Research and create a relevant, educational display for a classroom bulletin board.
6. Opportunities for other projects exist as time allows. These could include curriculum development, habitat restoration, development of teaching areas, etc.
High school diploma or equivalent. Prior experience working with youth in a role such as a camp counselor, mentor, teacher, or coach. Must possess the desire to work primarily outdoors, in all kinds of weather conditions. Strong verbal communication skills and the ability to represent Taft Campus and NIU in a knowledgeable and professional manner are essential. A high degree of initiative, mature judgment, and a strong work ethic required. A pre-employment criminal background investigation is required.
Prior experience working in a similar environment (outdoor/environmental education facility, summer camp, nature center) preferred.
15-20 hours/week. Weekly schedule varies based on the needs of the schools on site. Some evenings required.
$8.50/hour. A private, furnished room is provided. Meals when the dining hall is in operation.
DATES OF EMPLOYMENT
Starting in mid-August and continuing through the fall semester, with the possible option of continuing through the spring semester.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Melanie Costello, Director/Outdoor Education Coordinator, via email (email@example.com) or via regular mail (Lorado Taft Field Campus, PO Box 299, Oregon, IL 61061.