Huskies Get Hired
Naturalist Intern position at Indiana Dunes Learning Center/Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
Posted on Huskies Get Hired through Career Services website.
General Description: Dunes Learning Center (DLC) is a residential education facility within the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore (INDU) that works in close partnership with the National Park Service (NPS). Our mission is to help learners of all ages explore the dynamic relationship between people and their environments using the natural and cultural resources of the Indiana Dunes region.
Naturalist Interns are key members of the program staff at DLC. Naturalist Interns will develop their naturalist, outdoor education, and resource interpretation skills and techniques. They will instruct children and adults regarding the diversity of ecosystems, plants and animals, and cultural history of the INDU and southern Lake Michigan region. Naturalist Interns often work in pairs during the summer to give each the opportunity to shadow peers, provide and receive feedback, and learn a variety of teaching styles and techniques. Naturalist interns also have the opportunity to shadow NPS staff and attend educator trainings on a variety of topics.
Term of Position: Full-time Summer (June 2, 2013–August 10, 2013) and/or Fall (August 18, 2013-early June, 2014). Must be available to work weekend and evening hours. Both seasons include 2 weeks of training.
· Present DLC programs in natural and cultural history, inquiry-based science, and resource stewardship for children; primarily students aged 8-16
· Lead half-day and day-long educational/interpretive hikes on Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore trails including living history cultural programs
· Attend training workshops, NPS shadowing sessions and regularly scheduled staff meetings
· Ensure safety and well-being of program participants
· Conduct evening and weekend programs as scheduled
· Assist in the maintenance of all program supplies, equipment, and facilities
· Assist with other duties as required
· BA/BS in Natural Sciences, Biology, Education, Parks and Recreation Management, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Resource or Heritage Interpretation, Outdoor/Environmental Education, or related field
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Physically able to work outdoors in all weather conditions and hike several miles over hilly dunes terrain while carrying a 25-lb backpack
· Great independent worker and team player
· Possess valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation for local travel between housing and DLC
· Prior experience in classroom teaching, outdoor education, residential camp setting, nature centers, or day camps
· Lifesaving and water safety certification
All Dunes Learning Center employees must submit to a background check and possible drug screening.
Benefits: $215.00 per week stipend, shared (private bedroom) housing located on INDU property, uniforms, First Aid and CPR training, meals when groups are in residence, and professional development opportunities.
Click on the Apply button below, then
E-mail a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to contact including name, relationship, phone number and email address, to Erin Crofton, Education Director .
CPR, First Aid
Educator Postings - Teachers & Administrators, Job Postings - Alumni, Job Postings- Srs. or Masters Candidates
Number of Positions Available:
Desired Attributes The following attributes are desired for this position.
· Desired Degree: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of General Studies, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Science in Education
· Desired Major/Concentration: Biological Sciences, Education, Middle School: Science, Education, Secondary: Biological Sciences, Education, Secondary: Geography, Education, Secondary: Geology, Education: Elementary Education, Education: Outdoor Teacher Education, Environmental Studies, Geology: Environmental Science
· Desired Student Status: Alumnus/a, Masters Candidate, Senior
· Desired Work Authorization Status: Include all candidates
· Sponsorship: Include all candidates